Sunday, June 1, 2014

Hello, Bonjour, Hola, Güten Tag

Well week two has come to a close and its been fantastic. I am currently on a train speeding through the outskirts of Barcelona, Spain where the group and I spent our long weekend. Going to the “playground of Europe” was likely one of the best decisions we could have made for our four day weekend so that’s what I’ll talk about in this blog.

The trip had a very rocky start, our train was canceled and we didn’t figure this out until after we had run all over the train station looking for the train to Barcelona, which was nonexistent, thanks SNCF. So after tearing almost all of my hair out we went to the customer service window and they got us tickets for the next train leaving the station with only one connection to get to our beloved Barcelona. We thought the stress was over but little did we know we would be on four trains and four different cities before we finally got in, thanks to a few friendly people otherwise we probably would have ended up in Chernobyl. When we finally arrived, 7 hours late, everyone was in high spirits as we were about to put everything people had told us about “Barca” to the test or maybe the infamous city was going to put us to the test, either way we were excited.

After roughly a three kilometer walk we arrived at St. Christopher’s Inn, a European hostel chain (which I highly recommend), we started the check in process and met some really cool people from Alabama who were on a backpacking trip across Europe. When I heard them speaking English with a bit of a southern accent my face probably lit up I was so excited, we talked to them for a bit but couldn’t get anything else planned due to conflicting schedules. When we finally got to our rooms we all decided that there was no time for naps (I’ll sleep when I’m dead has been the mentality so far) so we changed clothes and got ready for our first night in the “playground”.

Once everyone was in the lobby we headed out to find a good place to eat and stumbled upon a Tapas restaurant and the food was to die for, everything I could have hoped for from our first meal in Spain. The next day was a bit rainy so we toured the city with our umbrellas and rain coats, we didn’t have a set plan so we just took off from our hostel and started walking. It’s amazing what you can find just walking around like that! The day was full of eating, drinking and taking pictures which I think was the best use of our day. That night we ate some seafood and listened to a mariachi band that came through the small restaurant we were eating at, the live music paired with the good food has been one of my favorite things along with the long, drawn out dining experiences. Saturday was a beach day since it was so beautiful outside and everyone got a little darker. It still kind of shocking seeing naked men and topless women walking along the beach but I guess that’s all part of the European experience. We returned to Toulouse Sunday afternoon with a much smoother train ride, we came direct from Barcelona and it was much less stressful than the ride out there.

All in all I think the long weekend in Barcelona was among the top weekends of my life time and I don’t know if I will ever get to experience something like that again. It is seriously the city that never sleeps. Meeting people from all over the world and getting to experience such a rich culture was a very unique experience for me and the city itself was breathtaking. I would strongly advise taking a trip there, even if it is just for a few days, as a matter of fact I would highly recommend going to any city on the Mediterranean. There is a different way of life down there and it’s something I hope to experience again very soon.

Goodbye for now you 8th wonder of the world, I’ll see you again soon and this time I will be prepared for everything you have to throw at me.


Oh and on a horticulture note, the orchids were nice too.







No comments:

Post a Comment