Friday, June 6, 2014

Au Revoir, Toulouse!

I don't know if I could have had a better time in Toulouse these past three weeks. I have taken this last week as an opportunity to reflect on my experiences and time here. I have learned that the French have strange toilets, pomme means apple AND potato, and that everything is not exactly as it seems. 

I came to France afraid that the people would be rude and dismiss me for being American, and some people did, but others were friendly and interested in our lives. It was so refreshing, and I realized that France was not as different from America as I thought. There are all kinds of people, all over the world. You can't say that all French people are stuck-up, the same way you can't say all Texans are friendly. It's just possible to make such a general stereotype!
     
We had a lovely last week in Toulouse, between exploring the city's hidden treasures and traveling to Roquefort to see how they make their speciality to cheese. I even tried some of the stinky cheese! I have never had cheese where I can physically see the mold on it, but when in France! It was different from any other cheese I had ever eaten, and I probably will never eat it again. At Roquefort, I had the opportunity to meet the manager of international business. It was very cool to hear someone in another country talking about the same things I learn about in my classes at Texas A&M. She discussed expanding their target market and creating a marketing mix that will interest more Americans in French luxury cheeses. I guess money speaks the same language in every country! I enjoyed the chance to have a discussion about something that applied to my career, but also involved the agricultural aspect that plays a big role in the culture and economy of not only France, but also Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment